The A.G. Tunney Brooks Fighting Pirate Ship



THE MAN
Coach Brooks was the longtime football, baseball, and basketball coach at Lumberton High School.  He spent his summers teaching swimming lessons and serving as manager of Woodside Pool.   His career at Lumberton High School spanned over 30 years.

Captain of the baseball and basketball teams at Wake Forest University in 1952 he also represented the USA in the Pan American Games as the catcher for the baseball team. 

He was elected to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Athletic Directors Hall of Fame in 2005 and then, in 2011, he was inducted into the North Carolina High School Coaches Hall of Fame.

Post Script:

We are deeply saddened to have received the news that Coach Brooks passed away at 3:00 A.M. this morning of May 4th, 2012.... almost two years to the day following the evening of the presentation ceremony depicted herein. I am very happy we will always have this special memory of this great man.
 



The A.G. Tunney Brooks

Built by Dave Bullock

The ship you see here is a very special pirate ship created in honor of Coach Brooks and was donated to Lumberton Senior High School on behalf of the LHS Class of '61.

The  "The A.G. Tunney Brooks" is over five feet in length and height. The hull and flags are trimmed with LHS maroon and gold colors and the sail cloth is adorned with the schools pirate logo.

She is museum quality in terms of the most extreme detail, and is docked in the hallway  of Lumberton Senior High School in her own custom built glass case.



Presentation Night

Coach Brooks looked so much better at last night's presentation of the ship.... it is a miracle!

Former student athletes from the class of '61 paid tribute to Coach and spoke of their personal experiences with him and how his influence carried over into their adult lives.

The ceremony occurred on the evening of May 1st, followed by the Booster Club's annual fund raiser raffle.  Over 200 guests attended, many of which were former student athletes who played ball under this great man.


The Unveiling

 

 

 

Presentation Night

Over 200 supporters, mostly former students and athletes attended from all over the country.






Our Proudest Moment


Presentation of the check to the University of North Carolina at Pembroke to establish a  $100 thousand dollar scholarship fund in coach Brooks' honor.

WOW!

12 comments:

Mike Stogner said...

I'll never forget that on Easter Friday my senior year a bunch of us skipped school to go to OD like we always did on Easter weekend back in the 70's. When I got back to LHS when school started back I realized that I needed a note and Coach Brooks was who I had to give it to. In a pickle for a young 17 year old and already in the parking lot, being right handed I came up with the super brilliant plan to use my left hand and forge a note from my mom. Problem was I didn't think it through any further than a 17 year old and all I wrote was, "Please excuse Mike for missing Friday he had a fever". Well, I handed the note to Coach, he read it looked up at me, looked back down at the the note and said in that voice we all loved, "Yeah right Mike, you had Easter beach fever" and handed me my excuse to get into class. We'll miss you Coach.

John Rancke said...

There will be many strong bodied men that discover the human heart is capable of breaking at significant moments in their lives. God gave us the man who worked his magic on a bunch of young boys (and girls) and we understand that to give is more important than to receive. We will give Coach Brooks back to God with tears and saddened hearts but with lessons learned to pass on to future generations. Black and Gold will be worn proudly by this Tar Heel in honor of "Our Coach".

Chip Barnes said...

There's no telling where I could have ended up if it wasn't for Coach Brooks.When my Dad was in Vietnam he stepped in and kept me on a short rope. You have to love a man that will step in and provide a FATHER figure for one of his boys.

Phyllis Ingram said...

There are certain people that exemplify all that was good about the magical years of high school .. we were all truly blessed with such great teachers and coaches. But Coach Brooks stands tallest of all. To me, he will always be LHS ...

Tom Jackson said...

John very well said. So many of us could have chosen the other fork in the road and had a troubled like while growing up in Lumberton. Coach Brooks and Coach Read were the magnets that drew us in and afforded us an opportunity to become the men we are today. Coach will truly be missed and the impact he made in our history will remain a miracle forever. I too will wear Black and Gold with a very somber heart and memory of a great mentor and leader.

Buddy Odom said...

Thank you Coach for the friendship, the mentoring, the paddle, and everything you stood for - Thank you to the family of Coach Brooks for sharing him with the entire community and decades of youth ! - I will always appreciate and never forget the things that Coach did to keep me in check - May the Lord bless you and keep you....

Philip Prevatte said...

Coach Brooks, was indeed a memorable person in my life and time at LHS. My mother, Loleta, said to send you her best and that you are in her prayers. I also remember my dad, Mace, telling me about some of the fishing trips you and he ventured out on.

Time is a funny thing. How could so many fun and wonderful things have happened and so many caring friends accumulated, in such a short time frame. He was a fine inspiration to so many and will be in my prayers.

Sue Bullock Jenkins said...

I will never forget learning to swim under the watchful eye of Coach Brooks. I was terrified of the water, but found I was more terrified of disappointing Coach Brooks. We played "Ring-a-round-the Rosies". Everyone else squatted but me. That left me staring across the pool at Coach. We played again--- I went down!!!!
I have had the best times in the water since then!!!!!!! Coach Brooks was one of the highlights of Lumberton High School!!!!!

Richard Monroe said...

Today I have lost a friend. My own words escape me as I read all of these wonderful tributes to a great human being. Teaching with Coach Brooks was such an inspiration. He was always such a positive influence and believed in the value and talents of our youth. I never served on a school committee or chaired one that I didn't ask for Coach Brooks to be a part of what we were doing. His level headed thinking and positive attitude helped to produce such positive results for Lumberton High School. Regardless of the number of athletic victories that came his way, Coach Brooks was a champion EVERY day of his life. My wife just loved him. She used to laugh and say that if Coach Brooks wasn't married, she would have to kick me out the door and run after him. If I should be fortunate enough to make it to Heaven, Coach Brooks is one of the first people that I intend to see. Lucky Heaven, one of the greatest angels now resides there. My heart, prayers, and thoughts are with his lovely family. Coach, we will always treasure your Christmas card from last year. It will remain on our tree every year. God bless each and everyone.

Mike Parnell said...

There are people that walk through our lives. Some leave footprints that time can wash away. Some leave fingerprints that time do not erase. Coach left deep fingerprints on all that he came in contact with. Thanks for the prints that still show over these years.

Gil Carroll said...

Coach Brooks taught hundreds of us to swim . . . He showed us how to shoot a basketball (We saw Ritchie and John shoot) . . . He coached LHS football to wins running the "T" offense. He coached LHS basketball to wins running the "Shuffle" offense. Have you ever seen a better high diver? He was our teacher and our friend . . . . and I never go a day without thinking of my Dad, Coach Brooks and Coach Read !!!!

John Rancke said...

I don't think I could say anything to make my thoughts and love for the man more clear except to say that I truly LOVED the man. There will be many strong bodied men that discover the human heart is capable of breaking at significant moments in their lives. God gave us the man who worked his magic on a bunch of young boys (and girls) and we understand that to give is more important than to receive. We will give Coach Brooks back to God with tears and saddened hearts but with lessons learned to pass on to future generations. Black and Gold will be worn proudly by this Tar Heel in honor of "Our Coach".

Little boys have heroes and at some point in our life we always find out those heroes are actually just human beings like everyone else. They are just cut from a different cloth. Coach Brooks was a hero to all of us no matter our background, whether we played sports or played in the band or just hung out in the halls. God truly blessed us by allowing us to be touched by Alton G Brooks.